Wednesday, January 20, 2010

First Observation

I am doing my subculture observations on Nova's personal fitness trainers for the athletic teams. Throughout my life, I have had numerous personal trainers in and out of the weight room. I have always enjoyed the trainers drive to pursue perfection and help clients. I would like to learn more about the requirements to become a trainer and what the job entails other then working out.
Today at 3:00 PM I went to observe Cameron Clark, a female personal weight trainer at Nova, training the Women's soccer team. Clark seemed to be in great shape and have a healthy lifestyle. She wore sweatpants with a shirt and Nike shoes. This uniform she wore allowed her to demonstrate the proper techniques and exercises to all of the athletes. As she explained the events she enunciated her words and projected her voice clearly. All of the soccer players could hear her, even the ones in the back. All of the players had on matching outfits, white athletic shorts with a gray top. Everyone wore athletic shoes because they knew what personal training would involve: physical activity. I observed the session at the RecPlex on the second floor where the free weights are.
Clark handed every girl a plan with different exercises- each exercise had a number of repetitions and sets on it. Before the girls broke off and started working out Clark explained how to do each exercise properly. She would break down each task into stages so it would be easier for the client to process what was expected out of them. It seemed that Clark built a relationship with each girl and that each girl respected Clark for that.
The first observation has taught me that I will have to be a friendly worker, who is constantly wanting to learn more about their clients. I must always be supportive and willing to help others. I learned that you can not just show up to an appointment ready to train, you must make a plan so you will not run out of things to do.
I am looking forward to the future observations on my subculture of Personal Training.

No comments:

Post a Comment