Thursday, January 28, 2010

Second Observation

Last Friday, the 15th, I observed Cameron Clark train the Women's soccer team on the soccer field. I was interested because I wanted to see what kind of personal training there was outside of the gym. The girls arrived promptly at 3 PM, knowing the consequence if they arrived late. Clark started the girls off with a 3 lap warm up around the fields then with some plyometric stretching. The movements while stretching will get a deeper pull and will lessen the chances of stretching while cold or standing still. This method keeps the player warm and ready for running or exercising. Clark did not give the team a plan for the session, she felt the more running activities the more of a negative attitude each individual would have. I think this strategy is smart, it keeps the athlete focused on the task at hand. I watched as the athletes were getting timed in the "T" course; this was timed because Cam wanted a start point for the girls so they would have a goal time for the future. The hot weather called for many water breaks, Cam was able to notice the heat and stress the athletes were getting hit with. Being able to tell when a client needs a break is very important, not noticing a client's abilities could possibly cause a serious injury. Being constantly aware of the clients abilities will help the trainer have a successful workout.

1 comment:

  1. I failed to put how long I was observing for, an hour and a half. I would like to know what other kinds of running and activities they did on the field. Maybe some other strategies Cameron uses to keep the players safe and having a positive outlook. How does a trainer know when their client is being pushed to the max? The observation didn't list all of the exercises the girls did. Why are the field training sessions necessary? What do you get out of field work that you don't get out of weights?

    ReplyDelete